Wednesday, April 01, 2015

Gorgeous ceramics


This video shows the making of the most spectacular and beautiful ceramics vases I've ever seen. I just cannot believe the skill and the patience it must take to make these. Don't miss it. 
[The video will not play in Safari on my Mac or iPad. It does play in Chrome, though.]


As you can see in the next picture, the patterns are *not* painted in the glaze, they are made by *inlaying* different shades of clay! How the glaze enhances that, I have no clue. 

The artisan is scraping off the superflous colored clay to reveal the clay he has put into the grooves which makes the patterns. A delicate task, ending with a brush. 

I'm fascinated by this one, I wonder how it's made. 
----

Funny enough, at the same time as my huge admiration for this, I get a tiny bit of empty feeling about the idea of owning one of them. I think because while it's amazing craft, it is not actually art. Every single pattern is simple in its basics and is passed on from master to apprentice. While it has great depth of care and quality, it does not have the depth of creation and beauty that art has.
(Don't get me wrong, craft is awesome, and I have vases, bowls, and old cameras on display which give me pleasure.)

1 comment:

Joe Dick said...

The craftsman never gets any love. Although I agree with you that this isn't art, it's not hollow - I mean, these are still at least handmade. That's something.