Tuesday, February 19, 2013

The Cost of Being Disorganized

The Cost of Being Disorganized, post.
  • Typical US worker is interrupted by communications technology every 10 minutes (Institute for Future and Gallup)
  • 80% of papers and information that we keep, we never use (Agency Sales Magazine)
  • The Wall Street Journal reports that the average U.S. executive wastes six weeks per year retrieving misplaced information from messy desks and files.
  • If you rent self-storage space to store your excess belongings, you’re contributing to a $154 billion industry.  That’s bigger than the Hollywood film business!
The last item is amazing!
A more inclusive list is here.

====
TTL referred to:

5 comments:

ttl said...

George Carlin's classic routine on
stuff (YouTube) pretty much says it all.

Ken said...

Getting rid of things needs to be a continual process. Once you haven't used something for a year their is a high probability that it will never be used. At the moment I rent a one bedroom unit, but also have a small storage space which costs me about $500 per year. There are things in it that I would use occasionally but it is inconvenient to get at them. I could keep them at home but I would probably need a two bedroom unit but that would cost $5000 per year extra (rent in sydney, Australia are ridiculous, I'm well away from the centre). So now I try to throw out more things.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Thanks, TTL.

Ken, yep.
Just an hour ago, I was looking for me Drebel. (No, what's it called the small electric drill-and-stuff for hobby and art use?) I couldn't find it, so I cleared out half a closet. A lot of it was boxes for cameras I bought yeeears ago, with manuals, CDs, different cables, bla bla bla. Well, I seem to not use it, and most of the cameras and gadgets are too old now to have resale value, so out it went. A full sack full.

And even a roll of carpet which had been in the back of a closet since I moved in eleven years ago!! I changed the carpet 7 years ago (from wine red to dark blue), I couldn't even use that bit!

Ken said...

Just found this http://www.hikingfiasco.com/2012/12/house-cleaning-101-december-2012.html

Anonymous said...

It's a dremel .
If you call thing by their correct name, as with people, you may find them more easily.