Monday, October 29, 2012

Panasonic

They say that the new Panasonic GF5 focuses faster than many DSLRs. This is impressive, given that focus speed for many, many years was the big Archilles' Heel of small cameras.
The camera is also real damn small. So if the image quality is similar to that of the GX1, then we have a heck of a cam here. (Oughtter have in-body stabilization, of course.)


Good looking sucker, ain't it.


The lens is Panasonic's collapsible zoom. I have it and like it. Not a huge range, obviously, but it's very compact, and has pretty nice image quality.

6 comments:

Ken said...

The successor to the GX1 will presumably be out soon, and looks like a better option.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

How's that, Ken?

Ken said...

I like the option of having an external viewfinder. The GX2 should have a better sensor, although there doesn't seem to be as much room for improvement. The GF5 is also successor to the GF3 which was designed with simpler controls.

I'm amazed at the quality of the sensors. My GF1, which is at least one generation behind, produces very nice A4 prints at ISO 400.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Would you buy an electronic viewfinder which was not built in?

I liked my GF1. The IQ was very good. Until you dared to venture above ISO 800. Ugh. Fortunately this has changed dramatically at both Oly and Pana.

Ken said...

I don't mind the EVF on the GF1, but one possibility is to buy a camera which has one built-in. I very much like my GF1 except for the low-light problems. A may look at the Olympus etc, although I hate having to relearn how to do things.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Except for Oly's advantage of in-body stabilization, I'd say it's a pretty even choice, and both brands have made great advances in sensors in the past year or two.